In a world of both artistic and formal written communication, keeping what you pen consistent, clear, and understandable becomes imperative. A copyeditor satisfies this need, for they are a professional second pair of eyes. And this is where my copyediting service may assist you.
- As a copyeditor, I shall correct errors or inconsistencies in capitalization, punctuation, spelling, syntax, and tone. Think misplaced commas, incorrect tenses, erroneous grammar, and simple typos.
- I shall ensure your prose is active, clear, nonredundant, and phonetically pleasing—upgrading the style while respecting your overall voice.
- I will apply whatever house style you follow (i.e. MLA, APA, Chicago, your own).
- If necessary, I can alter the structure of your text so that everything comes together without awkwardness.
- I will flag and, when appropriate, correct cliched writing, contradictions, fallacies, and biased phraseology.
- And finally, if desired, I will produce a style sheet that lists important deviations and stylistic choices (like putting a space after the em dash or certain names).
- I can also produce a critique that summarizes the commentary, prevalent mistakes, and my overall thoughts on your manuscript.
What does a proofreader do? They check a manuscript in its final form before being sent out. While it’s ideal for a manuscript to have endured multiple layers of editing, sometimes, especially with shorter works or when academic/business policy prohibits a more substantial edit, the proofreader is the only person to edit the document. Here is what I offer you with my proofreading service.
- Like with copyediting, I will rectify the grammar, spelling, punctuation, and capitalization—removing any errors or inconsistencies. And as close to perfection as possible.
- I will flag mistakes that you or previous editors missed, such as cliched, superfluous, or redundant writing.
- If I spot correct typographic or formatting errors or inconsistencies, I will correct them.
- As with copyediting, I shall apply the house style you follow. However, if you can supply a style sheet, it would be incredibly useful; otherwise, I must (and can) proofread your manuscript blind.